Saturday, December 13, 2008

Our Day Today

(Yeah, I've pretty much given up on posting every day--but at least I'm posting more, and getting back into the habit.)

Today Nature Girl has practice for the Nativity Play at our church. She's a sheep, again. Sigh. She could've been a camel (haha "I coulda been a contenda! I coulda been a camel!" in my best Brando voice...), but the Friendly Beast parts are supposed to go to 4th grade and up, and I am a big believer in letting things for older kids be for older kids. No pierced ears yet, for example. Rites of passage are important. So, a sheep it is.

Film Buff is taking the ACT this morning. He was late registering, so he had to pay an extra $40, but I will reimburse him, because it was my idea for him to take the test. His SAT's came back, and he could use the extra score--plus, the ACT is descriptive, not prescriptive (tells what you know, not predicting what you may do in college, necessarily), so it's easier. It's not written by the morons at ETS, either, those cretins. (Letting my Princeton Review training out for a walk here...) I hope he does well, but he's not taking it seriously, he didn't eat before the test (Glucose! Glucose for the Brain, Son!!! You need Glucose! Didn't work.), and basically he doesn't give a crap. He's just waiting for his high school career to be over, and honestly, I can't blame him. Seniorities even hits homeschoolers. He's a good boy, tho, by and large. I think he'll do ok.

Sky is awaiting transfer to the rehab place up the street from us. His disfunction is pretty deep. I'm just waiting and hoping, but I'm not that emotional about it all yet. Christmas is kinda sucky this year. It's not much fun to have your family's rituals and important times destroyed, year after year, by one of your children. He was telling me about a kid in jail with him who has missed 2 Christmases in a row, and will miss this one, too. The kid just keeps messing up around the holidays. I do feel sad for the moms of kids like that. I have to say that Fairfax County Juvenile Detention is really, really good, and they do care about the kids. No one wants to be there, but it's definitely not the horrible place that Arkansas JDC is, that's for sure. Dh will see Sky tonight, I'll see him Sunday, and then his transfer will be good on Tuesday. Nature Girl can see him next Sunday and on Christmas, at the family visitation times. We are glad he's transferring before Christmas.

I've got to clean up today--not fun, but ok. Laundry and floor sweeping, bathrooms and clutter control claim me today.

Hope your day is terrific--Seek the good.

No comments: