Friday, January 18, 2008

My First Weekly Report!







This is so exciting! I guess I have to make an official request to Jessica at Trivium Academy to be put on the list, but here's our week in review until it's official--it will still be our week in review when it's official, it'll just be official. (You will not continue to read if I don't stop this, will you? I do this all the time irl.) I'm just going to do Nature Girl's, because it's the first time.

Nature Girl had a good week. We have noticed a bit of a change in her attitude at times, which I attribute to very early hormones. (Did you know girls can start hormonal activity (THAT kind) at 7?)

We always start the day with devotions from Little Visits with God. It is the perfect devotional for us, kind and sweet. I can tell when we skip a day. Nature Girl made several important connections with the material this week, and that was rather nice.

LA: She started Spelling Workout C last week, and has breezed thru 4 lessons already. She did two this week, earning perfect spelling scores on the tests. She continued Adventures in Phonics; today she reviewed the syllable "ture." We are on page 75, working about 4 pages a week (we started last year).

MATH: In Saxon 3, she is learning multiplication, and had an assessment today. She did fine. She's a little afraid to be tested on new things, but lots of practice and time helps her feel more confident. I decided we need to make sure to do flash cards almost every day, outside of school time. I have been giving her one side of the math workbook sheet during class, and telling her to finish the other side for the next day. I'm trying to prepare her for homework at public school.

HISTORY: Ah, fun, fun! The Vikings have been good to us this week. As you can see from the pictures, we read several wonderful books, made Viking Bread (which was horrible but fun to make--there's something wrong with the recipe in the Activity Guide), and Nature Girl and her daddy made the Viking Longship from the Viking Treasure Chest. I highly recommend this resource! I think even 6th graders could get something out of it. We also did the Viking Mythology poster and stickers from the VTC, and next week will try to get to the other stuff (sundial, Runes--won't do fortunes with them, just copy some for fun--another poster, and a chess-like game that may be too hard for her). Oh, and I also want to make the house from the AG. Nature Girl gave two nice narrations, pictured.

SCIENCE: Nature Girl took her mini-microscope from Tasco outside to observe snowflakes. It was so fun! We really had wonderful weather--lots of windy, snowy fun. She played around in the creek, and generally appreciated the out-of-doors this week.

LATIN: I let her do her latin flash cards by herself, as well as a page or two in Prima Latina. I had to be gone an awful lot with Sky this week, so one day I just assigned independent work for Nature Girl, and she did really well. I'm amazed at her retention of Latin--we don't even get to it every week, but she rarely forgets the vocab from week to week. Of course, there are only about 30 or 35 words, plus a few phrases.

We didn't get to music this week, except for Choir. Our kids choir at church is taught by a wonderful public school teacher who is a member of our congregation. She volunteers her time, and also sings in the adult choir. What a voice that woman has--a sweet soprano with the biggest heart! I love that my daughter gets the benefit of her gifts.

I think that's it for the week. Oh, and I don't assign reading to NG--she devours books all by herself. She just finished a Nancy Drew and Caddie Woodlawn (a repeat favorite). We finished our read-aloud, The Borrowers, so we need to find another one. I will assign her Bulla's Viking Adventure, because I remember reading it as a kid and loving it.

Hope your week was lovely!

2 comments:

OkinawaMama said...

Looks great, Chris!
Laura

my5wolfcubs said...

"The Vikings have been good to us this week"
LOL Sounds like it was a great week -- despite the Viking bread, although, maybe they liked it that way?? :)
I'm very jealous of your living by a creek and writing such a wonderful weekly report...keep up the good work!
Lee (from the WTM board)