Thursday, November 13, 2008

Yesterday Was Our Anniversary

25 Years. Wow.
Not quite what you are thinking. Dh and I have been married only 23 years, but we got engaged 25 years ago yesterday. We celebrate both dates, every year.
I'm not going into the story of our engagement b/c I have to go to work in a few minutes, and it's quite a long, involved tale. Suffice it to say, we have chestnuts and a little Auschliese (is that spelled right?) every Nov. 12, and we thank God for His Hand in our lives.
Ok, I have to tell a little of the story.

We dated in college (met at an Episcopal youth retreat the summer he graduated from hs and the year before my senior year--known each other a Long Time), long-distance, getting together mostly in the summers. Around the end of that particular summer, dh knew he wanted to marry me. I was clueless. He saved for a ring, and gave God 3 conditions to meet, so that he could be sure it was the right time to ask me, and I was the right woman for him.

I had to get a ride to his college. The ring had to arrive on time. And...are you ready?
His college had to win their football game. Sigh. Men.

To make a long story a little longer...I got the ride, but we had an accident while getting onto the highway (snowing and icing all over the road!). After several hours, we all decided to rent a car and continue.

The ring arrived in time--I think the day before?

We went to the football game on Saturday--it was FREEZING cold, and, as our team was losing, I really, really wanted to go. I couldn't understand why my man was so darned INTENSE, and so into this game! "Wow, he must really love football."

They won. In the last, oh, IDK, 20 Seconds or so?
Dh was preeettttyy excited. He rushed the field, dragging me along. Little did I know...

That night, we made chestnuts and drank some cheaper (not cheap, just cheaper) wine, and he asked me.

And I said...

No.

Well, eventually, I said yes. Dh always says that he forgot about Free Will. Very important theological lesson.

We got married in July two years later.

And, if you stayed with this post this long, you should know...
I'm crazy about him still.

No comments: