Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Field-Based Science For 4th Grade

Nature Girl is in the 3rd grade this year at the local elementary school. Next year, she would like to homeschool, and so would I, but I will need to find a creative way to keep up with financial obligations. As I am thinking more and more about this, I am trying to plan a little for her 4th grade year.

Science has always been a tough area for me--it's clear that Nature Girl is a hands-on, experiments and field trips kinda gal. She actually came downstairs the other day with a homemade science kit she had put together, containing her Tasco microscope, a pair of plastic tweezers, a mini-notebook, and some other small items. She took a little basket with her on her way outside, after telling me she was going out "to make some observations." I found her later in the garage, sitting on the cold concrete, absorbed in using her microscope to carefully look at the items she had collected. She shared her written observations with me later. This was completely on her own, and showed me how much potential there is for her to enjoy a field-based/observational-type of science instruction.

So, I've been doing a little of my own research (tho not sitting on the garage floor!) to see if there are already some curriculum options out there. While there are many biology/botany/nature study ideas and books floating around, I have yet to see something that's open and go. My idea is to pull together some living books (Jessica at Trivium Academy has tons of great ideas for these on her blog) on several biomes/habitats, and then go visit the ones in our area. Jessica's kids are also using the Junior Ranger program for a park in their area, so I investigated that, too.

I went to the website of one of our nearest National Parks, Prince William Forest Park (PWFP), and downloaded their Junior Ranger Corps packet. Inside are 13 fun activities for children to do at the park. Each activity is introduced by a "kid" from PWFP's history. The activities vary from visiting different trails of the park, looking for specific items, to walking thru the various displays at the visitor's/nature center, reading displays and filling in information on birds, animal life, etc. It really looks like fun! We could do it in 4-5 visits, or do fewer activites and go more often.

At the end of the Ranger program, Nature Girl would earn a certificate, a patch and some little extra thing that they don't spell out in the packet. I think it would be a good beginning to our studies. We may even go before next year ( I have a hard time waiting on things like that! lol).

Last year we took a monthly nature walk in a marsh area not far from us--it was amazing to see how the marsh changed from month to month. We'd probably continue doing that, too. We also have another marsh nearby, as well as our very own woods in the backyard (we are situated on 40 acres of church land, 20 or so which are developed). Could be a lot of fun!

I will be looking for notebooking pages, some living books (I'm thinking One Small Square would be good, as well as using Comstock's Handbook of Nature Study, which we have), and a scope and sequence.

No comments: