Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Funny Thing Happened on The Way to The Library...

I am so tired of not being able to find modest skirts and skorts for Nature Girl! We have tried just about every where. I don't fancy the Little House look; we both want skirts and skorts that go just to the knee. We've tried Land's End (excellent for so many things, but their skorts are too short), LLBean, JCP, Sears, Kohl's, Hanna Andersson, Gap, Gymboree...ARGHH!

I ended up taking NG to the library today. We needed some books and I wanted to look at some of the Teaching Company dvd's on Shakespeare and other lit. Found what I wanted, for the most part. But what was funny was that I saw a sweet-looking young girl, probably 14 or so, wearing an attractive summer skirt--she had homeschool written all over her, not to promote the stereotype. I actually approached her, admiring her skirt and asking if I could speak to her mom--I know, ballzy me. She kindly led me to her mom, and I ended up having the nicest conversation with her mom. Liz told me she absolutely emphathized--and gave me the names of two thrift stores in the area that often have a good selection of girls' skirts and dresses.

We went to one later, bought a nice pair of jeans (a little pricey for a thrift store, but not too bad), and are now convinced it's an option for other wear.

I don't understand why it's so darned hard to find good quality clothing for dd that isn't black, doesn't have some logo on it, doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and doesn't make her look like a little tart. I'm going to ask C if she'll sew some skirts for dd!

No comments: