Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Back Again

Hi All,
We have not restarted school, but I decided to restart my blog entries. We've done a little school here and there, mostly from Apologia Zoo 3. Film Buff is off on a mission trip, will come home for a week, then jet off to Ireland, courtesy of a nice auntie. We take off for a visit to where we moved from 7 years ago soon after that. He's supposed to be working on 50 Great Short Stories, edited by Crane, but has only read about 5 of them. He says he'll take the book on the plane--sounds ok by me.

I have accepted a position as a part-time preschool teacher for the fall, which means Nature Girl will go to 3rd grade at the local ps. I'm kinda nervous, kinda excited for her. I think much of the textbook curricula will be redundant, but she will have other things to learn--I just want the "hidden curriculum," as they say, to not be too hard on her. I am going to take this year by year. I would love it if she could stay in ps until 6th grade, then come home for Jr. High and the first two years of High School. But we will have to see.

There's a chance I could get my certification, and make some $ by homeschooling other people's kids, along with Nature Girl. Not sure if this would work. Ideally, I'd tutor after school about 10 hours a week, but I'd have to find my own clients, and I'm not sure I can really do that.

We'll see! It's hard not to want to plan curriculum for NG next year. There are some fun things we could use. I don't think a year of school will harm her, but I want to minimize any damage it might cause. That will sound weird to those of you who do not homeschool--I am mostly talking about the social stuff that happens at school. She is quite sweet, has no doubts about God, and still watches Big Comfy Couch and Mr. R. I don't want that ridiculed.

No comments: