Saturday, February 9, 2008

Weekly Report 2-8-08

Unfortunately, this will be quite short, until I have time to get a decent report up (probably next week).
The week was going fairly well, with Nature Girl's history and LA providing our framework, as usual. She was showing signs of stress with Saxon, so I decided to go to Barnes and Noble and find a nice, colorful math workbook. I just wanted something easy and cute, to provide a break. I found a wonderful workbook, containing not only math exercises, but also writing and reading comprehension. Yippee! NG agreed, looked great.
Well, we cracked it Wednesday only to find the math problems were really too challenging. She is very good in the computation side of things, but this was asking for pretty serious thinking skills that were just a bit beyond her. We did several of the problems, but went back to Saxon on Friday.
History was fun, as usual. We had started Adam of the Road, a lovely book about a minstrel boy, but ended up putting it down, as it got too scary, and the language was just a little difficult. I'm sure it will be fine the next go-round, or even next year. We then went on to Castle Diary--what a great book! Highly recommend it. It's the story of a boy, Toby, who lives in the 13th Century in England. Toby goes to his uncle's castle to learn to be a page. The book is full of information told in a diary format--great illustrations, and its large format makes it a pleasant book to pour over.
Film Buff is quite pleased that the Writer's Strike has been settled. He keeps abreast of all these things. We both are thoroughly enjoying the new season of Lost, and hope it will go beyond what they've written already--and we enjoy all the theories and spoilers we can get our hands on!
All his work was fine this week. He is reading Alas, Babylon, and watched Dr. Strangelove to supplement (what a weird movie). I'm glad I preread it, because I can really check his understanding.
And that brings me to Sky. Ah, Sky. He is my teacher. I am learning to love unconditionally thru him, and Mama, it ain't pretty. Sky was terminated from a treatment program, and is now in JDC. I know many of you pray for us, and I really appreciate that. There is more to the story, but I am conscious of how public I make his life, so all I want to say is, please hold us before our Heavenly Father, and ask for the gift of discernment for us. We would like to bring him home and do outpatient therapy, and I really have a strong feeling of the rightness of this, but I don't honestly know if that is a good idea.
I'm sure I'll have some pictures up during the week.
Blessings to all.

1 comment:

Daisy said...

Sounds like a good week even with all the craziness. Our family is praying for Sky and all of you.