Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Math

I love Saxon Math. I'll say it again--I LOVE Saxon Math.
Ok, did that sound convincing?
Actually, it is going better for Nature Girl. We hit a rough spot about 4 weeks ago, with Nature Girl obviously feeling anxiety and lack of confidence in math. As I wrote previously, I wasn't sure what to do, but decided to put Saxon aside, as we were ahead of schedule, and working a year ahead, anyway.
We are back in Saxon now, and today, for the first time in about a month---

TA DA!

she had an excellent timed test, and pretty much sailed through the lesson. Her confidence has returned, her attitude is better, and things went smoothly. Whew, what a relief.

I really do love Saxon--mostly because it's so
intentional. It builds precept upon precept, doesn't let old material disintegrate into the Nether World of Kiddy Forgetfulness ("Honey, you've had this before! Why are you acting like it's completely new?" "HuuuH?" ), and teaches appropriate use of algorithms while making sure the kids handle the concepts,too. I hope we can use it for a looonnnggg time.

BTW, I'm learning to change text color and form!! Yippee for me.

1 comment:

my5wolfcubs said...

I'm not with you on this one. :) Although I agree it is intentional & keeps coming back to concepts. It is just the word LOVE...because I didn't! Actually, I don't think I've ever used love to relate to any math curriculum!

I'm learning to change text & color too -- it sure is a long process for me!
Lee