Monday, April 7, 2008

Weekly Report 4-4

Not much to report this week. As I wrote, we went to the Cherry Blossoms on Monday. We did get school done, but it was a very quick morning! I am so sick of the freezing weather and dreary grey skies. We walked in drizzle in DC; we park at Gravelly Point and walk over the bridge to the Jefferson Memorial, where the blossoms are--got pretty damp, but not soaked.

As for academics--Nature Girl started timed division tests, and upped her score by about a dozen points by the end of the week. We also started functions in Saxon 3. Since we were behind in Rod and Staff Grammar, we whizzed thru numerous lessons, and I feel we are doing all right now--still learning the parts of speech, and are on pronouns now.

Spelling went well, and NG has been doing her Bible lessons on her own. I expect she'll finish her Bible book by the end of May, and I'll probably get her started on Christian Liberty's Book C. It's funny to me that so much of what she is learning is new--I thought our Sunday School covered a lot of the stories, but really, they leave so much out. It's such a complex Book, I shouldn't expect the church to do as much as I can at home. Still, I'd love it if they could add in a little more, especially for the older kids.

In history this week we learned about the Black Plague, Henry V and Charles VI at Agincourt, and read about Joan of Arc. We used a beautiful picture book about JoA. I didn't realize it was quite so detailed, so it went a little slowly, but got the points across. We will make our mini-cannon from back in the Rus chapter, this week.

We also have almost finished our read-aloud, Chancy and the Grand Rascal. This would make an excellent resource to add to a US Geography course--or at least it would've been fun to map the trail they took to find Chancy's sisters and brother. Such a funny story--but now I have to find another book to read! Any suggestions?

Sky continues to do well. He needs some reminders about chores and homework--hopefully we can work that out. Film Buff is getting ready for driving school, which starts tomorrow! Everyone clear the roads! lol Not really. He's so motivated, I think he'll do fine. He got to see Leatherheads on Friday--love George Clooney.

That's our quick update for now.

No comments: